Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Defining Moment

The Defining Moment_Inked
I finished penciling and inking The Defining Moment, and I would have shown you all the penciled piece, but I was kind of on a tight deadline that I couldn't do so. As I had said in the previous entry, the final piece was going to be different from what was sketched in the thumbnail. It actually came out better. This drawing was created to go along with my presentation on Neal Adams that I gave for my Survey of Sequential class. The drawing was optional for the presentation, but if we did provide a drawing then we had to implement something that we learned from the artist. I've learned so many things from Neal Adams, and unfortunately none of them could be implemented into this drawing. However, I did learn that he inks all of his stuff with a Pentel marker and a Pilot pen. That's what I did here. It was an interesting experience, and one that I probably wouldn't ever do again. I'm still trying to get used to inking with a pen and brush.

Unfortunately I don't know what my class thought of this drawing except for one classmate who thought that it looked great. I have a bunch of opinions from people outside of my class, but only one from the inside.

Neal Adams, The Comic Book Maverick


The Neal Adams Collage

I created this collage of Neal Adams' artwork for the presentation that I gave on him, it was the title sequence for the visual aid. I gave my presentation on Neal Adams on Tuesday, May 31, 2011, and I was the last presenter that day. I didn't exactly choose to be last, it just sort of happened that way. I wrote a fantastic presentation, and I was hoping to give one, but at the time, I didn't feel like I did. In fact, I felt that I did terrible.  I had to deviate from the plan due to time restraints, and that's never a good thing. I suck at improvisation before an audience. Not only did I feel that I did horrible, but the fact that I saw three of my classmates fell fast asleep didn't help matters. I know that this was an 8 AM class and on the final week of school, but it was still discouraging to see them asleep. 

So I left the class grumbling at myself for how rotten the presentation was and after setting up such a great one, too. I heard from one classmate, the same one who had liked my drawing, say that she believed that Prof. Chris Schweizer liked my presentation. I wondered how she could tell when she was sitting behind him, but truth to be told, I was sitting in front of him and couldn't tell. However, on the final day of class, he kind of made a mention that he thought that it was good when he asked me to email him the PDF of the Neal Adams visual aid, something that I don't think that he asked for of anybody else. But it wasn't until I went up to Charlotte this weekend for the Heroes Comic Convention did I know for certain. He told me how great of a presentation it was, and he said that it was the best presentation that was ever given in the Survey class. He added that I would make a great teacher. Whoa. I probably should never listen to myself when I think that I've done terrible. 

Ironically, Neal Adams was at that convention. I've had the opportunity to meet him before at last year's Dragon Con, but since I had just done a presentation on him this year was a bit more meaningful. It was great to meet him again, and I told him that I had done a presentation on him and what the professor had said about it. Mr. Adams said, "You are wise beyond your years." Wow! It was an unforgettable Heroes Con to be sure.

Heroes Con

The last time that I had been to Heroes Con was in 2009 when I met the legendary Dick Giordano, who was a huge influence on my artwork, and it was his last Heroes as he would pass away a year later. I didn't go last year, but I had wanted to go back eventually. However, I couldn't afford a hotel. That was the main reason for not planning on going this year until I read that my friend, Lisa Tolbert was looking to set up a group to go up to Heroes Con. The group would be staying in the same hotel room and split the hotel payment. I could do that. Not only did I get into the group, but I also agreed to drive three to four people up to Charlotte. 

There were eleven of us cramped into a little hotel room, and we had every reason to get on each other's nerves, but we managed to work it all out. There was a conflict, but it got resolved peacefully. All in all, it was a blast. It was the best comic convention that I've been to, and it was the best time that I've had since coming to SCAD. I got to stay with some friends, met Neal Adams and Marvel colorist Laura Martin, a wandering drunk complimented my artwork, and Prof. Nolan Woodard told me to be prepared to be kicked in the butt when he heard that I would be taking his coloring class in the fall. What more can you ask for, what more? If the opportunity ever presented itself, I would love to do it again. In fact, it was a shame that it had to end so soon.

Final Thoughts

The spring quarter is over, and eventually I will give my overall take on the quarter, but right now I can say that it was a success. I got all A's in my classes, which included acing the 20th Century Art final exam. I haven't aced a final exam since my first quarter when I did it with 2D Design, but 20th Century is more impressive since there were more questions.

Last summer I had created an animated short called The Vampire Mouse Transformation Animation, where my Vampire Mouse transforms into a bat and flies around the screen before transforming back into a vampire. It took me the entire summer to complete. Under the recommendation of Allyssa Lewis, the former president of the SCAD-Atlanta Animation Society, I entered it into Roll Yer Own, an independent animation screening, and my animation was selected to premiere tomorrow night at 7 PM. 

In the next entry I'll talk about my experience at the premiere of my film, and I'll also premiere the colored version of The Defining Moment. Until then, this is Billy Wright wishing you all a good night. So long, everybody.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment