Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Message Within

I'm sorry that it has been a while since I've uploaded any artwork. This is the first page of the mini comic that I have been working on for several weeks. It is based on the character that I had created for my Intro. to Sequential Art class in the Spring Quarter of 2009 called the Vampire Mouse.  I absolutely loved the character that he has appeared  several different times in various artwork, but as much as I loved the character I never established what his origin story was, which is completely unlike me. My characters, main and supporting, all have a past and a future that way I know where they've been and I know where they're going, which will aid me in figuring out both their personalities and motivation, but also the stories. Instead with the Vampire Mouse, I created just his future; I couldn't figure out a proper origin for the character.

During the Spring Quarter of 2011 I decided to make my first mini comic, which I plan to sell at the Fluke Mini Comic Festival in Athens, Georgia next year. I felt that it was finally time to create the origin story for the Vampire Mouse, but...I still didn't have a single idea for what would it be. It wasn't until I was watching an episode of Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated that I was finally struck with an idea. The origin story would be a two part story that would be based on true events except for the vampire part. I won't reveal what it is until it premieres in April 2012, but the first part tells the true story of what happened to me while the second part is metaphorical, and together they contain a message and question for the audience. The great thing is that the message is so hidden within the story that the reader doesn't know that they've seen it or that I've asked them a question. If I've done my job correctly, the reader will automatically think about the question without knowing that THAT was the whole point of the story. It's all about psychology. And even if they don't see anything in what I'm saying, they still have a great story to entertain them.
The drawing above is the first page of The Vampire Mouse #1 The Cost of Love...or is it The Price of Love? It's tough to remember since it has held both titles at one time and one got changed to the other. Vincent Welles has already gotten bitten by the vampire, and he thinks about the events that led to him having two puncture wounds in his neck. So the first part is primarily in flashback. I've finished six pages so far, and I hope to get started on the seventh page very soon.

Final Thoughts

The 2011-2012 academic year at SCAD-Atlanta is in full swing, and it is going great so far aside from making a mistake in one of my projects recently that has set me back to the beginning. Fortunately I have rectified it, and so I am back on course on the two page coloring project for the Digital Coloring class. 

I hope to have the Incredible Hulk drawing done soon, and I'll have some thumbnails for the final Digital Coloring project  to post in coming days. So a bunch of things for all of you to look forward to. So until next time, this is Billy Wright wishing you all a good night. So long, everybody! 

No comments:

Post a Comment